Friday, April 11, 2008

Gestational Diabetes

Every woman is checked for gestational diabetes between 24 and 28 weeks.  Gestational diabetes only occurs during pregnancy (hence the name) and can result in anything from a large baby to a stillborn.  Most often, gestational diabetes goes away once the baby is born, and both mom and baby are fine.  However, having gestational diabetes puts the mom at a 50% risk of developing diabetes later in life.  GD is managed during pregnancy with diet, exercise and possibly daily insulin injections.

Two weeks ago I had the gestational diabetes test - the glucose tolerance test.  This involves drinking 10 ounces of glucose watery stuff.  It was pretty gross and made me nauseous.  An hour later your blood is drawn.  Sadly, I failed that test.  The next step is the expanded glucose tolerance test which I had this past Tuesday.  This time I had to fast for 12 hours, show up at 8 am, have my blood drawn and drink a glucose drink that had twice the sugar concentration of the previous one.  I almost vomited while drinking it.  I guess that isn't too uncommon.  Try downing 10 ounces of corn syrup sometimes.  Or rather, don't.  At this point you are held hostage for the next 3 hours so they can draw your blood hourly.  So, I sat in the waiting room.  And got bored.  So I bothered the font desk people with a question -- "I haven't felt the baby move as often in the past two days - is that normal?"  Next thing I knew I was whisked back to an exam room, my weight and blood pressure measured, told to pee in a cup, and then had a PA come in with a doppler to check the baby.  She told me movement isn't reliable until 32 weeks - after that point if I notice a change in baby activity they do get worried.  However, since I was there (and being held hostage) they were happy to check on the baby for me.  She put the doppler goo on my tummy and went to work finding the heartbeat.  Baby Stanis was probably on the most intense sugar high of his short life and every time she put the doppler on my tummy he kicked it.  She told me I have a feisty baby.  However, we did listen to the heartbeat, kicks aside, and it sounded great.  She said he had good blood flow.  That's my boy!  :)  This diversion passed a half hour of my captivity.  Four blood draws later I was free to go.

I got the test results today.  NO GESTATIONAL DIABETES!!!!

No comments: